LOCAL COUNCIL BY-ELLECTIONS.
The FDC will be taking part in the local council by-elections across the country. There are over 800 positions to be filled across the country and it’s the role of the party to field candidates in all these positions. Nominations are ongoing throughout the country today 29th November and tomorrow 30th November. The FDC Candidate for Kayunga LCV District Chairpersonby election Mrs. Nakanwagi Fatuma will be nominated tomorrow Tuesday. This is to replace Owek. Ffeffeka Sserubogo who was found dead hanging on the tree in the bush in Kayunga.
CRISIS IN THE HEALTH SECTOR
The world has been put in panic over a new COVID-19 Variant “Omicron” discovered in South Africa.
- Understaffing at the Health facilities, currently at 60% of established government staffing level. Yet over 1000 doctors are unemployed because government has refused to employ them.
- Ongoing Doctors strike have worsened human resource capacity in health facilities across the Country, thus hampering fight against Covid 19 and other diseases, leading to preventable deaths.
- Under Payment of health workers and other civil servants leading to low morale.
- Lack of PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENTS which has led to health workers contracting and dying of Covid 19.
- Poor status of health facilities and general lack of supplies such as drugs, laboratory supplies for diagnosis of diseases by health workers.
- What is Government plans to prevent this variant from being imported in to Uganda?
- What travel measures have been put in place on people travelling to Uganda from those “red” Omicron Countries?
- All Covid 19 variants are all imported by travelers from those Countries.
- We don’t want a situation where we will have another lockdown
- Resolve grievances of striking doctors quickly by paying doctors well. eg. An intern doctor Ugx5m and senior consultants Ugx20m as promised by Mr. Museveni so that they can go back to work before the new strain starts ravaging the country.
- Recruit more health workers into vacant positions in civil service.
- Increase funding to health sector for drugs, laboratory supplies, Intensive Care Unit beds, etc
- Stop corruption in the fight against Covid 19, and hold those to account.
- Compensate families of all health workers who have contracted and succumbed to covid 19 in line of duty.
- Expedite enactment and the implementation of national health insurance scheme contributed to mainly by Government of Uganda.
ALLEGATIONS THAT ENTEBBE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IS LIKELY TO BE TAKEN OVER BY CHINA.
Uganda is likely to lose its Entebbe International Airport to the china over its failure to pay back a loan that was ironically intended for its development.
China’s Export-Import (EXIM) Bank lent Uganda $207 million at 2% upon disbursement in 2015 for the expansion of Entebbe airport. The loan came with a maturity period of 20 years including a seven-year grace period. However, as per media reports, the Ugandan government waived off the clause for international immunity, attaching its only international airport. This means that China, without any international arbitration, can take over the possession of Entebbe International Airport.
We demand that government comes out clear on the following
- How was the money used
- Who used the money
- Where is the accountability
- What’s the status of the ownership of the airport as of today the 1st of December 2021
Mr. John Kikonyogo
FDC DEPUTY SPOKESPERSON